Sweet Potatoes are one of my favourite starchy vegetables, up there with white potatoes and squash. They’re delicious served mashed, steamed, sautéed, fried and even spiralized into noodles. But my favourite way to enjoy them is roasted in the oven using some warm aromatic spices.
Their deep orange flesh is packed with nutrition, being an excellent source of antioxidants like carotenes and vitamin C. They also provide a good source of manganese, copper, and vitamins B5 and B6. Most importantly, they’re delicious!
Preheat Oven: 375F
Time: 30 min
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
1 tbsp coconut oil, bacon or duck fat
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Combine spices in a small bowl and set aside
2. Lay cubed sweet potatoes and sliced onions in a single layer in a roasting pan.
3. Using your hands, massage fat throughout the veggies, making sure to coat each piece well.
4. Sprinkle spices over veggies and combine to coat.
5. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
Serve as a side to your favourite chicken, pork or beef dish. I also like to use leftovers for omelettes, salads or just snacking!